Thursday, April 7, 2011

What's In A Name?

A name is that all-important "label" by which we will be known for the rest of our lives. Oh, how many expectant parents agonize over what to name the newest member of their family. Is it trendy? Is it unique? Does it fit the child, the family, the lifestyle? I have a book with thousands of names, their meanings and their spiritual connotations. And even so, new names are created with abandon year after year!

In Biblical times, names were everything. They were the words used to describe the circumstances of the child's birth, heritage or destiny. Jacob meant the "supplanter" or "holder of the heel" because he was born holding his brother Esau's heel. Jacob spent much of his life deceiving and conniving his way into succession, stealing his brother's birthright and blessing, only to have his name changed by God from Jacob to Israel (meaning "God contended") after spending a night wrestling with an angel. From the curse of his original name to the blessing of God's newly-given title, Jacob lived up to his "label."

Daniel means "God is my judge" and he became one of the greatest prophets in the Bible. Hannah, the mother of the prophet Samuel, means "favor" or "grace" and was blessed with a son after praying faithfully though her many years of being barren. Obadiah, meaning "Servant of Yaweh" (God), became a minor Biblical prophet. The meaning of the name Mary, the mother of Jesus, is "sea of bitterness" - and don't you agree that watching her sinless son die on a cross would cause a "sea of bitterness" - but, it also has a spiritual connotation of the word "blessed" or "beloved." Jesus (or Yeshua), means "God is my salvation", and has a spiritual connotation of "bringer of truth" - a name fulfilled on both accounts.

I love the meaning of my name, Joan, "God is gracious." Boy, is that ever the truth. I have been surrounded by the grace of God my entire life. I never much liked my name, but it's meaning has given me a new respect and understanding of why it was given to me. For me the grace of God has meant the difference between the bondage of the many poor choices I have made and and the freedom of forgiveness, the gift of new mercies and abundant life each day.

Now, most of us have two or three names ... maybe even more. But God has many and each of these names describes a distinct attribute about His character. He is Jehovah the great "I AM;" Elohim the "Creator;" Adonai, The "Lord Master;" El Shaddia "Almighty God;" El Elyon "The Most High God;" and Ol Alam the "Everlasting God." He is Protector, Provider and our Abba Father. He is our All-In-All, our Everlasting King and the one under whose wings we sit for comfort and peace. And, He is Love, in it's purest most simple form; it's most powerful, awesome strength; unconditional and perfect.

God has asked us to call Him by name - each name in each situation. When we call on the name of Lord in reverence and respect using the names that speak to His character, we release the power of that attribute to whatever circumstance we face. We are not only praising Him, but we are exalting Him to the place of honor and glory only He deserves.

I encourage you today, search the scriptures and learn the names of the God that formed and created you, calls you His own, and longs for you to dwell in His presence.


My Precious Daughter,

A blessing of peace I bring you today. As I set My banner over you, I am Jehovah Nissi. As I pour out My peace upon you, I am Jehovah Shalom.

As you walk with me today I will be your shepherd, Jehovah Rohi. Fix your eyes on Me and not your circumstances for My rod and My staff will comfort you.

My provision for you today is complete and perfect. For I am your provider, Jehovah Jireh. I am your righteousness, Jehovah Tsidkkenu, and your sanctification, Jehovah M'Kaddesh. You are set apart and beloved, holy and anointed for My glory.

My presence is upon you; I am Jehovah Shammah. I am high and lifted up, the Lord of Hosts, Jehovah Sabboath.

There is healing in My wings, I am Jehovah Rophe. Every need is complete and covered in who I am.

Walk with Me today, beloved. Let Me be  your all-in-all, your sufficiency, your desire. I am from everlasting to everlasting. Praise Me and glorify My name. For I am the Lord God Almighty, who was and is and is to come.

Beloved, you are My cherished child. Forever in My heart and loved unconditionally.

Be near to Me today. I have all you need - I AM all you need.

I love you.


Psalm 23:4 - Even when I walk through the dark valley of death, I will not be afraid, for you are close beside me. Your rod and your staff protect and comfort me.

Psalm 4:1 - To the Chief Musician. With stringed instruments. A Psalm of David. HEAR me when I call, O God of myrighteousness! You have relieved me in my distress; Have mercy on me, and hear my prayer. 

Revelation 4:8 - The four living creatures, each having six wings, were full of eyes around and within. And they do not rest day or night, saying: "Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, Who was and is and is to come!"

 

No comments:

Post a Comment