Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Shattered Dreams, Hope Fulfilled

I grew up knowing that one day I would be a mother ... one day I would have a daughter. I played dolls everyday until I reached junior high school. I saved my most treasured dolls to share with the daughter who would be mine. I dreamed of baking and shopping and doing all the things that my mother had done with me. I was certain that my daughter and I would be best friends forever.

God is so wise and perfect, isn't He? You might be surprised I say that ... I had three boys and later gained two stepsons. The dreams of a little girl were redirected and left unfulfilled.

I love my sons .... all of them. I have been blessed beyond measure because they are each uniquely different - each a gift perfectly placed in my life. I can tell you that I now understand football, wrestling and even some parts of a car engine simply because of these wonderful unexpected gifts. And, how blessed are they, because they have had the pleasure of learning how to make beds, cook and appreciate the amazing unpredictability of living with me! While I doubt they will truly ever really understand women ... they have had a glimpse of the feminine side of life.

My sons are all grown and out of the home now. I count it a privilege to have been given the blessing of raising them. Yet, that longing for daughters remained.

One day, years ago, I questioned God about the fact that He had not answered my specific prayer for a daughter. He responded! He promised me many daughters. I was baffled because I was unable to conceive by that time. I think I must have felt like Abram when God told him he would have descendants as numerous as the stars. But the Lord went on and assured me that I would have spiritual daughters. Young women who would come into my life and be like true daughters to me.

I will say it again, God is so wise and perfect! It took a long time, but He has blessed me with women - young women - who have been knit to my heart as if they were my own flesh and blood. I have two daughters-in-law and several spiritual daughters that fill my life with abundant joy. I look forward with anticipation to the others He has prepared to place in my life for such a time as this!

As I read Isaiah 54, my heart was moved for women who have never had the children they dreamed of having. The heartbreak of an unfulfilled dream. I journaled my prayer to the Lord saying, "In my own situation you blessed me with wonderful sons - but my heart and soul longed for daughters, too. Oh, how I missed that joy in my life, Then you promised spiritual daughters - and you have answered that promise over and over... You have continually poured out blessing in my life - I see it. Where I felt lack you have proven and provided my desires. You are to be highly praised for you are a faithful and true Father."

I asked the Lord to speak to those who felt the disappointment of shattered dreams - whether children or relationship - whatever they may be. I pray that if you have given up on your dreams, you will find hope and comfort in the Lord's letter to you. When we put our hope in God's promises, we are never disappointed - we never lack.

My Precious Daughter,

How I delight in your words of praise over Me. Yes, I am faithful in My promises to you. Yes, I am a loving Father who knows your heart's desires and who longs to fill them. Yes, I am to be trusted for My Word says so - My actions say so.

Beloved, the void you have felt is to first be filled with My love. Let me come and cover you with My wings, hold you in My arms. Let Me fill you to overflowing so that your faith grows strong. For I have not forsaken you.

Set your heart on Me. Come to Me each day. Ready My Word and be comforted. I have all you need. I AM all you need. Look up in every situation and I will guide you. You are not lost, you do not lack. I will fill you up and I will answer your prayers. Dear one, hold onto the hope, for when you least expect it, you will see My promises fulfilled.

I AM the Lord Your God. I can do anything; nothing is impossible for Me. My plans for you are good. And though they may not look exactly like yours, one day, beloved, you will see how perfrect and complete they are.

Trust that My love for you is enough. My grace is sufficient. I have all things under control. I have your life, your hopes, your dreams in My hands.

I love you.


Isaiah 54:1 - "Sing, O childless woman! Break forth into loud and joyful song, O Jerusalem, even though you never gave birth to a child. For the woman who could bear no children now has more than all the other women," says the LORD.

Isaiah 54:5 - For your Maker is your husband— the LORD Almighty is his name— the Holy One of Israel is your Redeemer; he is called the God of all the earth.

Isaiah 54:14 - In righteousness you shall be established; You shall be far from oppression, for you shall not fear; And from terror, for it shall not come near you.  

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful words and feelings Joan. You have been touched by God in a powerful way.

    ReplyDelete